"David L. Arneson (arneson@ctron.com)" <arneson@yeti.ctron.com> Thu, 24 September 1992 14:47 UTC

To: SAPICH <sapich@ccmailgate.conware.de>
Cc: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1992 10:47:00 -0400
From: "David L. Arneson (arneson@ctron.com)" <arneson@yeti.ctron.com>

> Hi,
> we want to implement the chassis mib in our new modular system
> containing bridges, routers and repeaters. During the analysis of
> the chassis mib and the design of our software structure 2 problems
> occured:
>         1. How will the information of a new card (just plugged in)
>            be distributed in the system?
>            Are there any ideas of a common mechanism?
This is a somewhat difficult question.  That I'm afraid we may not be
able to answer for you.  From my own point of view I lean towards some
out of band communication to distribute the information.  This put the
burden on each entity to maintain this information.  A second idea
I like is to have a central agent which notifies all entities of what
it's configuration.  You could also use some form of a download image
to get the information.  There is no one excepted method of maintaining
the information.

>         2. Is there only 1 master for the chassis mib in the system
>            or can there be more masters? If there are more masters
>            how are they supervised?

There should be only 1 master for each logical chassis.  A logical chassis
maybe one or more physical chassis.  It may also be a subset of a single
physical chassis.

> Michael Sapich
> Software Development Dept.
> Conware Computer Consulting GmbH, Killisfeldstr.64,
> D 7500 Karlsruhe-41, GERMANY
> phones: +49-721-9495-0            Fax: +49-721-9495-146
> e-mail: sapich@conware.de

I hope this helped.  Hang in there we should have an Internet Draft in
the near future.

/David Arneson