Re: 24316 prefixes

David Conrad <davidc@keio.jp.apnic.net> Fri, 06 January 1995 21:40 UTC

To: yakov@watson.ibm.com
cc: bgpd@merit.edu
Subject: Re: 24316 prefixes
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 1995 06:31:56 +0900
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: David Conrad <davidc@keio.jp.apnic.net>

>Fully agree with this. However, the above implies that addresses are
>assigned in such a way that the aggregation is possible. Let me suggest
>that this group should pay MUCH MORE attention to the address assignment
>procedures, or otherwise there will be not too much to aggregate.

I, of course, strongly concur with Yakov's statement here.  All the
games and knobs you can play with won't help when addresses are
allocated in ways that simply cannot be aggregated.  I feel it is in
the best interests of people who are watching their routers fall over
to take a much more active interest in the policies involved in
allocating address space.  RFC 1466, RFC 1597, RFC 1627, the recent
draft IANA statement posted to the IEPG list, and the Internet draft
draft-iab-assignment-guidance-00.txt all have or may have direct
relevance on how addresses are allocated.  The last two in particular
are likely to alter the current procedures used by the registries if
they become official policies.  To my mind there has been far too
little discussion on these documents, considering some of their
implications...

Regards,
-drc