research in multimedia communication

Shirley Browne <browne@cs.hope.edu> Tue, 19 May 1992 20:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 May 1992 16:19:30 -0400
From: Shirley Browne <browne@cs.hope.edu>
To: cip@bbn.com
Subject: research in multimedia communication
Cc: browne@cs.hope.edu, raj@ms.uky.edu

A colleague and I are interested in doing research in communication
support for distributed multimedia applications.  I also have three
undergraduate summer research students for whom I need to find projects.
When I looked through the charters for the various IETF Working Groups,
this group seemed to be the closest, as multimedia communication
will require a multipoint, multiflow connection-oriented protocol.
I noticed in the list of goals and milestones that the group is
currently implementing and performing experiments.  I am very
interested in getting myself and my students involved in some of these
experiments.  We have an Internet connection, an Ethernet of SPARCstations,
and the COMNET network simulation package.  I would like to hear
about what experiments have been done, what the results were,
and what further experiments remain to be done.  If you have been
involved with such experiments, or would like to pursue them jointly
with me and my students, please get in touch with me.

Could someone (probably the maintainer of this list) please send
me information (or tell me where I can find it) about the goals
already accomplished (i.e., new specification of ST, definition of
common hardware and software platform, and implementation of
hardware and software platform)?

Shirley Browne
Computer Science Department
Hope College