Re: Proposed Standard

"Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com> Sun, 20 February 1994 03:57 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 12:35:00 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com>
Subject: Re: Proposed Standard
To: Multiple recipients of list TN3270E <TN3270E@list.nih.gov>

>The IESG has received a request from the Telnet TN3270 Enhancements
>Working Group to consider <draft-ietf-tn3270e-luname-print-02.txt>
>"TN3270 Extensions for LUname and Printer Selection" for the status of
>Proposed Standard.

OK, here we go.

The IESG members that I have talked to have the opinion that RFCE will start
out as a Proposed Standard.  Once RFCS hits, then its position will be
re-evaluated and then perhaps changed to PROTOTYPE, or INFORMATIONAL, or
something else.  It should be made clear that we can only have one
'standard' for TN3270...

If some of you feel strongly that this should be published as informational
up front (note:  experimental does not fit for RFCE, as we learned at
Houston), then EMail the IESG directly.  I have discussed this extensively
with or AD, John Klensin.  An I was willing to go along with his and others
that we start as proposed, and then move it to informational after RFCS
comes out.  One advantage to this approach (if I remember correctly) is it
gives more visiblity to what we are doing to TN3270.  That is, we are
proposing a new standard.

But maybe, if, as Bill indicates, we are a month away from a last call on
RFCS, then I agree that RFCE should just be informational.

Bob