Re: [clue] Consensus call: Encoding Limits - SDP or CLUE signaling?

"Duckworth, Mark" <Mark.Duckworth@polycom.com> Wed, 04 December 2013 17:38 UTC

From: "Duckworth, Mark" <Mark.Duckworth@polycom.com>
To: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com>, "clue@ietf.org" <clue@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:15:42 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [clue] Consensus call: Encoding Limits - SDP or CLUE signaling?

Hi Christian,

Maybe there is confusion about "encoding limits" vs. "encoding parameters".  I think we have been talking about "limits" and "parameters" as being the same thing.  Here is my understanding.  A CLUE encoding has "encoding limits" (see draft-ietf-clue-framework-12 section 8.1 and draft-kyzivat-clue-signaling-05 section 4.2).  For the sender (encoder side), these are expressed in SDP (a=sendonly), and referenced in a CLUE advertisement.  Similarly, for the receiver (decoder side) the limits are expressed in SDP (a=recvonly) and referenced in a CLUE configure message.

Framework section 8.1 mentions the possibility of the codec actually using lower values for some of these parameters, and gives example of how certain parameters for certain codecs can be considered limits with possibility of using lower values.  It seems to me that in general this isn't CLUE specific.  This is just how these parameters are meant to be used in SDP offer/answer (and maybe also in H.323 protocol?).  CLUE isn't trying to change this, it is just adding the ability to reference these existing codec parameters in CLUE messages.

I disagree with you about the consistency of the framework examples.  The "maxWidth/maxHeight/maxFramerate/maxPps/maxBandwidth" parameters you mentioned are all still part of the framework.  Whether they are expressed directly in CLUE messages or references to SDP is not relevant to these examples.  If we eventually add more examples (in the signaling document?) for CLUE protocol and/or using the data model, then these lower level details should appear in those examples.

Regards,
Mark