Re: [codec] [payload] Padding in draft-ietf-codec-opus-07?

"Wyss, Felix" <Felix.Wyss@inin.com> Mon, 25 July 2011 22:08 UTC

From: "Wyss, Felix" <Felix.Wyss@inin.com>
To: 'Jean-Marc Valin' <jmvalin@jmvalin.ca>, Stephen Botzko <stephen.botzko@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:08:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.17.30.73]
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] [payload] Padding in draft-ietf-codec-opus-07?

Another challenge with relying on RTP padding is communicating the maximum packet size for padding from the encoder to the RTP/SRTP stack.  Of course, this could be done implicitly by having the RTP/SRTP sender maintain a "high watermark" of payload sizes seen, but that would still leak information.  Dependencies and forced "abstraction leaks" between layers increase implementation complexity, may result in subtle security bugs, and risk incompatibilities.  RTP padding is not common, so there _will_ be vendors that get it wrong when they get padded packets.

My vote is for *NOT* relying on RTP padding for conversation masking.

--Felix