Re: [codec] Fwd: COM 16-LS 124 - Outgoing LS from SG16 meeting (26 October - 6 November 2009)

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Wed, 11 November 2009 01:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:59:12 +0900
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@digium.com>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Fwd: COM 16-LS 124 - Outgoing LS from SG16 meeting (26 October - 6 November 2009)

Hi Kevin,

While, in some jurisdictions, there are tests on what qualifies as RAND and
what does not, it is true that RAND commitments alone typically do not
provide a potential user with guidance about the commercial terms of a
license.  However, it gives the potential user an assurance that a license
is actually available.  Some say that it makes the hurdle much higher in
obtaining injunctions for unlicensed use of a patent.  Both are Good Things,
from a righttaker's viewpoint.  Remember, without a RAND commitment, a
patent allows the rightholder to forbid anyone in the jurisdiction, for
whatever reason, to use the claimed subject matter.

The definition of "Reasonable" in RAND, and "Fair and Reasonable" in FRAND,
are both heavily discussed and litigated.  I doubt that you will full
agreement on these definition if you ask more than one person.  However, I
have, so far, never heard that the NDA part of the story has been questioned
in the licensing community.  It is common that those discussions are held
under NDA.  There are valid commercial and legal reasons why this is the
case.

RAND does NOT mean that all possible users will get the same terms after the
bilateral discussions that are common in licensing.  That is one reasons why
licensing discussions are typically under NDA.

All that said, there is a movement ongoing in the patents&standards
community to allow a rightholder, using the SDOs communication process, to
provide potential users voluntarily with information of licensing
terms--typically something like the maximum royalty that is being charged,
and expressed as a percentage of the unit price.  IEEE was the first major
organization to add this to their policy.  Google "patent standard ex ante"
if you are interested.  In a few cases, ex ante mechanisms have actually
started to see use; in others, I would argue they have seen abuse.  Neither
the ITU nor the IETF embrace ex ante disclosures of licensing terms in their
policies, although, at least in the IETF, it's possible to make those.  If a
rightholder were truly interested in publishing its terms, there would also
be other non-SDO means to do so.

For a number of (mostly antitrust-related) reasons, IMO and AFAIK, ex ante
disclosures will remain voluntary in most legislations and in the
foreseeable future.

Stephan