Re: [codec] Adopting draft-valin-codec-guidelines-06 as a WG item

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Sat, 25 September 2010 01:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:22:06 -0700
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@jdrosen.net>, codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Adopting draft-valin-codec-guidelines-06 as a WG item

> If you disagree, please speak up - and even better - submit an
> alternative document.

Hi all,

My preference would be to resolve strategic issues such as text/code being
normative (where it seems we are very close to consensus: code it should
be), bit-exact or not (and what are the conformance points if its not
bit-exactness), and characterization gating, before accepting the draft as a
WG item.  That said, I'm willing to support the adoption of the draft as WG
item even in the absence of this consensus, but only under the following two
conditions:

1. The draft clearly states that there is no consensus yet on the subject of
bit-exactness.
2. The draft clearly states that there is no consensus yet on the subject of
characterization gating (in the sense of Jonathan's email sent a couple of
hours ago).

These conditions represent my points 11 and 15 of my email sent to this list
on August 21, on neither of which I'm in agreement with the current language
(or the current intention), nor I have seen any movement on the proponents
on the other side towards a compromise/consensus position.  I don't have the
bandwidth this week or next to suggest alternative language, but will try to
do so within the two week time window Jonathan proposed.

In order to move things forward: in both cases, I have no problems if the
current text stays in, as long as it is made unambiguously clear that this
is not a consensus position, but rather one possible option for a resolution
of the question, and that other options are expressedly solicited.

The reason for these requests are hopefully obvious: a WG draft should
represent the consensus of the WG, and should not contain non-consensus
positions without disclaimers.

Stephan