Re: [Coin] Starting point for Semantic Routing discussions

Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com> Thu, 03 February 2022 07:51 UTC

From: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com>
To: Jon Crowcroft <Jon.Crowcroft@cl.cam.ac.uk>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
CC: 'Haoyu Song' <haoyu.song@futurewei.com>, "'King, Daniel'" <d.king@lancaster.ac.uk>, "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, "coin@irtf.org" <coin@irtf.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 07:51:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.81.202.180]
Subject: Re: [Coin] Starting point for Semantic Routing discussions

Jon,

If there's a shopping list of problems that need fixes, it may also warrant research to do so, not just engineering.

Let me take COIN as an example. 'Computing in the networking' is not really new, is it? We've done that before. AN is a (bad) example with many problems outlined, e.g., how to program those distributed nodes, how to deploy them, how to secure them (and the execution). We've had SDN for some time, P4 emerged around the time of COIN (not sure of the exact timing here), and hey, we can just stick a server next to a network node as a crude approach. So in manner, compute in the network is something we know (quite well, in fact) but may not be happy with how it's solved so far. But the questions asked in those efforts are similar to those we ask in COIN.

In another conversation, you pointed me to the COIN charter text that is capturing the broad essence of what COIN is about, namely "Research on novel architectures, data-plane abstractions and new network protocol designs to efficiently federate decentralized  computing resources, across the infrastructure regardless of where in the network the compute is placed (the DC, the core, the edge, and even in the end-user devices).". It is this that binds the questions above (which could easily be diced and sliced for being addressed in other places of the IRTF or IETF) into an architectural context, asking for new abstractions and architectures that may be doing a better job than what we have done so far.

But aren't there parallels to the discussion on semantic routing? The survey draft outlines the many ways in which it's been done so far with many (sliced and diced) solutions having emerged. What may be missing are the issues stemming from that point-wise approach to it, granted. But it's not difficult to see for me how a similar "research on novel..." can be formulated for semantic routing, progressing from the way it's been done until today. Questions may be similar to those above (on securing, deploying, programming) but they may also be different, something to figure out properly.

My main point is that COIN can be seen as purely addressing a shopping list of problems that need fixes or taking an architectural view in addressing them (possibly different to when addressing the shopping list one by one in a 'fixing' approach). Semantic routing is no different to me on that; it's positioning the advancement of the area against the possible progress at architectural level (for which we need research) rather than at the engineering level (which is what we've been doing so far with all the issues that come with it).

As for COIN and semantic routing together, determining the common threads (vs those that may be distinctly different) is key to the activities here, which why I had seen semantic routing as an 'applicability area', using the term introduced in the email to the list that stirred much of the recent discussion.

Best,

Dirk