[Coin] 答复: COINRG and QIR : interaction for generic architecture of quantum computation node ?

"Hejianfei (Jeffrey)" <jeffrey.he@huawei.com> Tue, 26 November 2019 04:12 UTC

From: "Hejianfei (Jeffrey)" <jeffrey.he@huawei.com>
To: Wojciech Kozlowski <W.Kozlowski@tudelft.nl>, "coin@irtf.org" <coin@irtf.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 04:12:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.40.78.175]
Subject: [Coin] 答复: COINRG and QIR : interaction for generic architecture of quantum computation node ?

Hi Wojtek and Nicolas ,
Thanks for raising this topic. And the QIRG architecture draft is a very good introduction for me, one without any quantum background. I have a question after reading it.
It seems to me what you need for the control plane (which is built above the classical channels) is a signaling mechanism to  reserve the resource on quantum repeater/routers along a path, as the arch draft mentioned in section5.2.
The challenge in the first item in section 5.1 ( “no headers”) reminds me the similarity to all-optical networks, particularly the Optical Burst Switch(OBS), which is also separating the control plane from the data plane, doesn’t rely on processing headers in data (bursts), and try to reduce the requirement of buffer(optical buffer is non-trivial). This paper below may provide some information how OBS handle their reservations :Just-in-time, Just-enough-time et. My understanding is that the basic idea is to send a message at the control plane ahead of the data burst to reserve the resource before the real data arrives. I have to also mention that OBS hasn’t been deployed in real networks(as far as I know), although there were many research and some prototypes in the optical community back to nearly 20 years ago.
(https://rouskas.csc.ncsu.edu/Publications/Conferences/WOBS-Teng-2003.pdf)
Maybe I am wrong, you are exploring something more than resource reservation?
Cheers,
Jeffrey