Re: [Coma] (no subject)

"Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com> Sat, 30 June 2012 13:29 UTC

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:28:59 +0200
From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com>
To: ext Yan Wang <ywang@cnnic.cn>
Cc: coma@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Coma] (no subject)

Hi Yan,

> Maybe we should propose several use cases of different kinds of
networks.
> It is good to make clear about their common requirements and
individual requirements.

I would appreciate it if you could provide the type of constraint
networks/devices and the use cases you have in mind as input for
discussion.

Our aim is to look at the use cases and requirements independently of
existing protocols. We might highlight gaps in existing technologies but
selecting the right protocol is an individual decision.

Cheers,
Mehmet

Of

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lwig-guidance-00#section-4.5
> > mentioned
> > devices
> > >
> > > We have implemented an SNMP stack on Contiki and we have published
> > > details about it. I think I only very partially agree with what is
> > > written in this section 4.5. There is also an old expired I-D that
> > > might be relevant: <draft-hamid-6lowpan-snmp-optimizations-03.txt>

> > > My understanding is that CORE is specifying CoAP. CoAP may be used
for
> > > management but CORE is not chartered to specifically look at this
> > > question. LWIG is looking at coming up with general guidelines for
> > > light-weight implementations of IP protocols and hence might
include
> > > guidelines for implementing SNMP. COMA probably can take a broader
> > > look at what is needed and in particular what the requirements
driving
> > > things are. There is also discussion on the netconf WG list
related to
> > > constrained devices, but it is as of now not chartered work.
> > >
> > > I assume COMA is an attempt to provide a common place to discuss
the
> > > management requirements and aspects of constrained networks and
> > > devices instead of having discussions in several places.
> > >
> > > Of course, as Bert Wijnen kept saying, adding a protocol with the
best
> > > intentions to replace other protocols just leads at the end to one
> > > more protocol. If that applies to discussion lists as well, then
we
> > > just have one more. ;-)
> > >
> > > /js
> > >
> > > --
> > > Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
> > > Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen,
Germany