Re: [conex] Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-conex-destopt-09

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Fri, 02 October 2015 15:21 UTC

To: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 10:21:11 -0500
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, conex@ietf.org, draft-ietf-conex-destopt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [conex] Gen-art LC review: draft-ietf-conex-destopt-09

On 10/1/15 12:27 PM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Robert, Mirja,
>
> Responding (eventually) as one of the authors of conex-abstract-mech
>
> First one point I picked up that might be a misconception from Robert:
>
> On 26.08.2015 22:19, Robert Sparks wrote:
>> Should
>> there be a statement that this option must not be used unless by a
>> transport extension that's discussed how to use it?  If not, then
>> shouldn't this document talk about what happens if there's no
>> transport header below to inform audit function behavior?
> ConEx is designed so that audit is agnostic to the particular
> transport behaviour. One would not expect the audit function to look
> for a transport header and change its audit behaviour accordingly
> (ConEx is designed on the assumption the transport header is or at
> least could be encrypted). conex-abstract-mech says:
>
>     Transport Oblivious:  Audit SHOULD NOT be designed around one
>        particular rate response, such as any particular TCP congestion
>        control algorithm or one particular resource sharing regime such
>        as TCP-friendliness [RFC5348 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5348>].  An important goal is to give
>        ingress networks the freedom to unilaterally allow different rate
>        [Evol_cc
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-13#ref-Evol_cc>], without having to coordinate with other networks over
>        details of individual flow behaviour;
> I'd be interested to know where in the docs you got a different
> impression, because we ought to try to fix that.
I didn't actually think the audit function code would change per
transport. But as you point out, my suggested fix to the disconnect I
think I see implies that, so it is off the mark.

Your suggestions below will address the concern.

> Now, responding to the conversation...
>

> On 28/09/15 20:37, Robert Sparks wrote:
>>

>> On 9/22/15 7:46 AM, Mirja Kühlewind wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> regarding M1:
>>>
>>> I don't think we can say much more in this doc than what is already
>>> said in the abstract mechanism doc as we simply don't know which
>>> protocol will be used on top of it.
>> So should this document restrict the use of the extension to those
>> protocols that are used on top of it where the discussion can be
>> concrete? (That's what I was suggesting when I asked " Should there
>> be a statement that this option must not be used unless by a
>> transport extension that's discussed how to use it?")
> That /seems/ reasonable. But let's consider a test-case before
> adopting this last sentence: e.g. DNS
>
> I could implement ConEx for a sender of DNS datagrams (that receives
> no congestion feedback). conex-abstract-mech says:
>        Alternatively, without sufficiently precise
>        congestion feedback from the receiver, the source may have to
>        conservatively send extra ConEx markings in order to avoid
>        understating congestion.
> So, I could modify my DNS sender to add a CDO header to all IPv6
> packets and always set the credit flag. Then, if my sender was behind
> a ConEx policer, it would consume some degree of congestion allowance,
> but it could never be accused of understating congestion by an audit
> function.
>
> Would I need a DNS-specific ConEx document to make this modification?
> or could I just implement it based on conex-abstract-mech and
> conex-dest-opt?
> Actually just these two docs would be sufficient. A DNS-conex document
> might be able to suggest a better more efficient mechanism, but it
> wouldn't be /necessary/ to write that doc to implement ConEx in DNS.
>
> The subtle point here is that the top-level requirement that ConEx
> places on a transport protocol is merely not to understate the
> congestion you cause. Any doc defining how a transport sets ConEx
> information is really just guidance on how not to look like you are
> being dishonest if you intend to be honest. The DNS example shows how
> you can be sufficiently honest without a document.
I follow that.

It's a minor pedantic point, but I think the above indicates that
-destopt- doesn't define a concrete ConEx protocol by itself.

>>> What we can do is to add one sentence saying that there must be a
>>> way in the higher layer protocol to provide feedback about
>>> congestion (loss and/or ECN) and that the specification for the
>>> higher layer protocol must discuss how an audit function in the
>>> network can access information on congestion on the forward path
>>> (e.g. monitoring seq#).
>> That makes sense to me.
> conex-abstract-mech deliberately does not require transports to use
> congestion feedback (as in the DNS example above).
> Also, as quoted above, conex-abstract-mech requires audit to be
> transport-agnostic, altho optimisations are possible when the
> transport is visible.
>
> So please don't contradict conex-abstract-mech by saying either of
> these things.
>
> The way the ConEx docs are structured, conex-abstract-mech is the
> place to state requirements on transport protocols and on audit, and I
> haven't yet seen anything in this conversation to say we've missed one
> (altho I have noticed below that we failed to act on one requirement).
> I certainly agree that a doc giving examples of good audit functions
> would be extremely useful. But I think the requirements on audit in
> conex-abstract-mech are sufficient.
>
> I know some people really want the rules to be clearer. But the
> requirements for audit in conex-abstract-mech will still carry more
> weight than how one particular example audit device works.
Right.

The "must discuss how" above was what was tempting for me.

>>> Further regarding the abstract mechanism doc, it says the following:
>>>
>>> "The general goal of an auditor is to make sure that any ConEx-enabled
>>>    traffic is sent with sufficient ConEx-Re-Echo and ConEx-Credit
>>>    signals.  A concrete definition of the ConEx protocol MUST define
>>>    what sufficient means."
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is a correct usage of normative language, but I
>>> will double-check with the author of this document. However, I don't
>>> think we can say more about what sufficient means that it is already
>>> described in the abstract mechanism doc (further down in section 5.5).
>>>
>>> It might also be the case that the authors actually meant to say
>>> here something like
>>>
>>> "A transport that uses the ConEx protocol MUST define
>>>    what sufficient means."
>>>
>>> which would probably me more sensical. I'll check with them.
> Bear in mind that abstract-mech is /ultra/ abstract (Matt Mathis
> suggested this and we all agreed). abstract-mech envisages that
> conex-dest-opt might not be the only concrete ConEx protocol. So this
> sentence means that conex-dest-opt has to state the basic audit rules.
> I.e. the three penalty criteria in
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wagner-conex-audit-01#section-2.3>
>
> If David Wagner is not available to re-write these for conex-destopt
> and the draft authors can't, I could have a go, but I have other stuff
> I'm meant to be doing this week.
>
> Sorry, when I reviewed conex-dest-opt for compliance with
> abstract-mech, I failed to notice the gap where this important
> requirement should have been satisfied - probably because we stuck the
> requirement in section "5.5 Audit", whereas we should have added it to
> the list in "3.3.  Requirements for non-abstract ConEx specifications".
>
> I suspect fixing this will resolve your concern, Robert.
Yes.