[conex] 2) False positives of the audit

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Mon, 03 June 2013 13:23 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: conex@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:23:37 +0200
Subject: [conex] 2) False positives of the audit

Hi,

this question is directly related to the first one. If we have not done
anything wrong at the sender but the audit still penalizes us because of
wrong information at the audit, we need to detect this case at the sender and
do something, e.g., as just proposed, send more credits.

My only guess right now, how to detect such a false positive of the audit at
the sender is, that if we see congestion (loss or ECN) for more than one RTT
eventhough we have reduces our sending rate it must be a false positive.

Thus in the worst case, we will see a large number of losses (upto all)
induced by the audit. This will cause the sender to send further ConEx L
marking and might lead to another throttling by the policer.
If the audit drops too less packets on the other hand, it is not a sufficient
penalty and FEC might be able to compensate (at least for shorter
transmissions).

Thus whenever there is a false positive by the audit, I currently would assume
that this would strongly slow down or stop the transmission. But with the
risk of loosing ConEx marked packets in the network and also not having
sufficiently accurate ECN feedback, there will always be false positives.

Mirja