[conex] Review: draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Mon, 11 August 2014 23:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 00:26:01 +0100
To: Suresh KRISHNAN <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>, Mirja KUEHLEWIND <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>, Carlos Ucendo <ralli@tid.es>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: ConEx IETF list <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: [conex] Review: draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06

Suresh, Mirja, Carlos,

As promised at the authors mtg in Toronto, I have reviewed
draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06.

At this late stage, I prefer to suggest text, not just criticise. But
pls don't take this to mean I expect you to use my suggested text.

I had a lot of nits, so I thought it easiest to deal with these by
annotating the draft (using MS Word, but also supplied as PDF output):
<http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/conex/draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06-rvw-bb.doc>
<http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/conex/draft-ietf-conex-destopt-06-rvw-bb.pdf>

I have also included all my more substantial concerns in the above
annotations - highlighted in yellow.

I've listed the major items here, as hooks if mailing list discussion
is needed on any of them (but see the annotations for detail before
discussing).

My most controversial disagreement is around IPsec compatibility,
which we ought to spin into a separate thread if you want to discuss/argue.

Most of the other additions are because conex-abstract-mech says a
concrete protocol spec has to address specific aspects, which weren't
addressed.

==Intro==
* Added scoping in Intro (solely wire protocol; specific transport
protocol specs will determine when specifically to set each marking,
e.g. conex-tcp-modifications)

* Standards Track -> Experimental
* Added subsection of intro on experiment goals: criteria for success
and duration

==Requirements==

* Referred to abstract-mech for requirements, explained that it would
be hard to satisfy them all, and explained which one wasn't satisfied
(visibility in outer), referring to section on fast-path performance.

==CDO==

* For any text about ignoring invalid fields, explicitly said that
intermediate nodes MUST NOT normalise. Also, specified to treat
packets with invalid fields like a non-ConEx-capable packet.

* Specified precisely which IP header is included in the byte count.

* Suggested deleting example of Not-ConEx-capable packets (see
separate thread to conex-tcp-modifications authors about TCP pure ACKs).

==Fast-path==

* CDO as first destination option: changed from MUST to SHOULD (with
an example of when not to).

==Config & Management==

* Added section, mainly to say there is no config & mgmt (required by
abstract-mech).

==IPsec compatibility==

* Suggested ConEx counts the AH header, and the outer tunnel mode
header, with reasoning.

* Suggested the section is restructured because I believe the
visibility problem is not related to tunnel mode, but only to ESP in
tunnel mode.

* Added a para about the possibility of implementing a ConEx proxy
(without breaking e2e authentication).

==Tunnelling==

* Section added, to generalise from just IPsec to any IP-in-IP
tunnelling (particularly relevant to mobile scenarios).

* Suggested optional copying of CDO to outer, but also a simpler 'Do
not copy CDO' alternative.

==Security Considerations==

* Added lots, all pointers to where security issues are discussed in
other places (which is what security directorate reviewers need).

==IANA==

* I think the act bits need to be 00 not 10 to avoid ConEx packets
being dropped by non-ConEx nodes (including by non-ConEx receivers)?
But I'm willing to be corrected.

Regards

Bob

Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT