Re: [conex] Preferential Drop

Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Fri, 14 February 2014 10:43 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:43:52 +0100
Cc: "conex@ietf.org" <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] Preferential Drop

Hi Dirk,

thanks for your feedback. Please see in line...

On Wednesday 12 February 2014 13:36:42 Dirk Kutscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks. Just a few comments:
>
> - it's probably useful to state in the table that "1" == top priority
It's in the text, but I will also but it in the table.

> - "... it MAY preferentially drop packets" -- I actually think this should
> read "it SHOULD preferentially drop packet" -- we want to recommend it --
> not say that it is really optional. (You would need to change the
> parentheses later in the text then, too...)
That was intended to have to really optional. There is not need to implement
preferential drop to have ConEx working. It only to potentially have some
additional benefits if desired be the operator...
Moreover, it might be quite complicated to implement preferential drop into
existing architectures (we had this discussion recently on the rmcat list).
And we definitely don't want to keep people from using the ConEx information
by requiring preferential drop.

> - I don't think we need "if a router implements preferential drop it SHOULD
> also support ECN-marking" -- it's kind of implicit. The text later also
> seems to assume that ECN is implemented anyway.
No, you can have preferential drop without ECN. It is just more useful with
ECN and that why the later text mostly relies on assuming ECN. Thus I think
if we would like to have ECN, we have to write it in the text (as it is not
implicit). The question is: do we want to push ECN deployment by this? Or
should the decision to use ECN be taken as independent. Because then, the
text would read like: "If ECN is also (already) supported, this mechanism
provides better DDoS migration..." or something like this....

Mirja