[Congress] John Scudder's Block on charter-ietf-congress-00-01: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 15 March 2023 23:07 UTC

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: congress-chairs@ietf.org, congress@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:07:47 -0700
Subject: [Congress] John Scudder's Block on charter-ietf-congress-00-01: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-congress-00-01: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-congress/

BLOCK:

I found the final paragraph to be odd:

```
CONGRESS will not remain open simply because “in case” further work comes along.
```

(Nit, the "because" in that sentence isn't quite grammatical, I think you can
delete it without harm.)

Do you mean something like this?

NEW:
CONGRESS will close once all of its milestones have been completed.

If you don't mean that, what *do* you mean?

COMMENT:

- A number of unfortunate linebreaks look to have been introduced in version
01. Please fix these before releasing for IETF review.

- I agree with Paul that the WG acronym seems likely to lead to future
confusion. I encourage you to find another; my recent experience with CAN ->
CATS is that it's not that hard to make this change even late in the game.

- Is there some specific reason for the use of the weak "can" instead of the
more intentional "will" in this paragraph?

```
The CONGestion RESponse and Signaling working group (CONGRESS) can review some
of the impediments to early congestion control work occurring in the IETF, and
can generalize transport in this area from TCP to all of the relevant transport
protocols.
```

This is your charter, after all. It seems to me that the word should be "will".
The same applies to

```
The working group
should consider a revision