Re: [core] Using draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option to *enable* responses

Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com> Fri, 22 April 2016 15:16 UTC

To: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
From: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 20:46:42 +0530
Cc: Nevil Brownlee <rfc-ise@rfc-editor.org>, "core@ietf.org WG" <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] Using draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option to *enable* responses

Hi Esko,
Thanks for your mail.
First of all let me just bring this to your (as well as the mailing
list's) notice that the latest version of the draft is:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-16.txt

This version "officially" closes the technical reviews and is with the RFC
editor through the IS track.

Now coming to your use case (and indeed it is an interesting one) one
thing that we should consider is that the No-Response option was
deliberately designed not to mandate anything for the server side mainly
to ensure that it does not disrupt the many usefulness of the usual
request/response symantics. The draft all along deals with the requesting
client's behaviour and its expression of interest to the server. Since
this option is elective we leave it upto the server implementation to
honour the client's interest.

Now, as per usual request/response symantics the responses are always
enabled. The behaviour in groupcomm server in terms of suppressing the
clients are not aware of such special behaviour.

So, it would be justified to handle the situation at the server's end.
Here is the idea:
While No-Response is to expresses client's dis-interest in some or all of
the responses depending on the option value, it is also true that the
option automatically expresses interest in all other responses (marked by
0's in the respective positions). The client is going to wait for these
like this : "I have closed my door for all out going response. **BUT**, if
I see a fellow requesting with No-Response and keeping windows open to
some responses then I assume that this guy really needs those kind of
such responses. This fellow must be available to listen to them as per the
prescribed behaviour in the No-Response specification."

Mandating such server behaviour from the client side will be a bit
out-of-sync with the spirit of the specification.

Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Associate Consultant
Scientist, Innovation Lab, Kolkata, India
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services