Re: [core] Editors' draft of changes to draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls-08 after IESG input

"Kovatsch Matthias" <kovatsch@inf.ethz.ch> Fri, 16 June 2017 20:49 UTC

From: Kovatsch Matthias <kovatsch@inf.ethz.ch>
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, "Kraus Achim (INST/ECS4)" <Achim.Kraus@bosch-si.com>
CC: "core@ietf.org" <core@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 20:49:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [188.195.112.97]
Subject: Re: [core] Editors' draft of changes to draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls-08 after IESG input

Hi all

To me it feels, we need a special session for this during IETF 99. It is really hard to follow the arguments in the e-mails, as there are so many unspoken assumptions, solutions-in-mind, and misunderstandings. I would guess, I am not the only one who cannot get a clear picture of the (assumed) problem, implications, and possible solutions.

It would be good to know what “what URI schemes actually mean” means.
To me, it defines the syntax and semantics of the rest of the URI. Important semantics would be if the port is a UDP or a TCP port.

It would be good to know how the mess of HTTP 1.x, SPDY1, SPDY2, SPDY3, H2, and QUIC is actually solved.
To my understanding in particular SPDY and QUIC are solved by out-of-band info patched into the browser (~Chrome knew what gmail.com speaks…~).

It would be good to know what the actual assumptions are.
CoAP clients do trial-and-error until they get a response?
All CoAP endpoints are expected to implement all transport and the pick of transport is just because of the middlebox baggage?
Web Linking will always include transport hints in the future?
It is just a hint even when the publisher of a link knows for sure what transports are implemented in the origin server?
…

How come we still need https and http?

Ciao,
Matthias