[core] Comments on draft-hartke-coap-observe-00

Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@gridmerge.com> Sun, 04 July 2010 17:20 UTC

From: Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@gridmerge.com>
To: core@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:20:11 +0100
Subject: [core] Comments on draft-hartke-coap-observe-00

Sorry these are a little late.

 To summarize:

	* The document moves around layers of abstraction somewhat. Some of
the concepts are quite abstract (observer, subject etc.), then it
talks about messages, then it refers to reliable UDP. I think it
should keep to the abstract level and defer discussion on the more
specific layers to other documents
	* I know I have said this before but I believe it is important to
abstract the transaction model from the methods themselves. This means
we can put a clean break between the RESTful part (plus pub/sub) and
the transactions (HTTP-like or more asynchronous for M2M). What may be
missing is to specify abstract properties of the delivery, which is
sort of addressed by message types in this document.

 I tried to attach as modified original but I think it was too large
for mail server. In the attachment my comments are in as .  indicates
where I have put out text not directly relevant to the comment.

 Robert
--

	Robert Cragie (Pacific Gas & Electric)

	Gridmerge Ltd.