Re: [core] A question on handling of option parameters defined in HTTP

Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com> Thu, 23 August 2012 01:38 UTC

From: Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com>
To: DOI Yusuke <yusuke.doi@toshiba.co.jp>, "hartke@tzi.org" <hartke@tzi.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 01:31:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.70.110.143]
Cc: "core@ietf.org" <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] A question on handling of option parameters defined in HTTP

Hi Yuseke, all,

I have reviewed your "draft-doi-core-parameter-option" document. I realise that this idea still needs to ripen, so I hope the following questions can help getting a clearer view on the proposed mechanism:

(1) In section 2.2, the server can accept any rate, whereas the client chose the rate 32500 and signals it through the content-type. How did the server indicate the acceptable rates to the client?

(2) In the other direction, how can the client indicate acceptable parameters to the server?

(3) What is the rationale behind the "oid" field? I understand that it is for indexing the option-parameters. Does that mean that a content-type "some/content-type;par1=8;par2=9" would have two "Option-Parameter" options, in which the one for par1 has "oidx=0" and par2 "oix=1"?

(4) For the "value" field, I guess you propose to use a text string with the same content as the "value" field from RFC 2045?

(5) Why do you define 3 "Option-Parameter" options? What is the related implementation complexity, and how does having three separate options resolve it?

(6) To avoid confusion with CoAP options, would it be helpful to rename "Option-Parameter" to "ContentType-Parameter"?

I see value in content type parameters, especially as HTTP already supports a similar mechanism. So I look forward to discuss more about how this could be reflected by CoAP.

Best regards,
Bert

---
Bert Greevenbosch M.Sc.
Senior Research and Standardisation Engineer

email: bert.greevenbosch@huawei.com
telephone: +86-755-28978760

HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO.,LTD.
Building F1 / Floor 8
Huawei Industrial Base
Bantian, Longgang District
Shenzhen  518129
P.R. China

This email and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained here in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!