Re: [core] Questions/comments on draft-ietf-core-dynlink-02

Mojan Mohajer <mojan.mohajer@u-blox.com> Mon, 13 March 2017 15:05 UTC

From: Mojan Mohajer <mojan.mohajer@u-blox.com>
To: Michael Koster <michaeljohnkoster@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 16:05:49 +0100
Cc: core <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] Questions/comments on draft-ietf-core-dynlink-02

Hi Michael,

Yes, the current version of LwM2M requires the use of “Write Attribute” which as you pointed out provides a single set of notifications parameters. This in itself could be rather problematic in use cases where there are two observers of the same resource with differing requirements of observe attributes. As per example A in the document and your suggestion it seems more logical to pass the observation attributes in the get operation and make them somewhat transaction oriented rather than simply attached to the resource. By doing so, a resource can accommodate multiple observers with different observation rules as required. BTW, couple of companies have already put forward proposals to add support for passing of these attributes in the GET operation in the next version of OMA LwM2M specification.

Best Regards,

Mojan