Re: [core] Where to work on AA/revocation

Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com> Tue, 30 July 2013 09:25 UTC

From: Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:22:45 +0200
To: Olaf Bergmann <bergmann@tzi.org>
Cc: Corinna Schmitt <schmitt@ifi.uzh.ch>, dtls-iot@ietf.org, "core@ietf.org WG" <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] Where to work on AA/revocation

(sorry for the cross-mailing list traffic)

Olaf,

This is the first IETF where this cluster of new AA proposals have come out of the woodwork, so be patient finding a home for it. DICE is really about optimising the use of DTLS in IoT, and we're keeping that focus for at least the first charter as we have a couple very focused problems to solve.

Regarding the AA presentations that were given in CoRE yesterday. Yes I do agree that the IETF should work in this area, but it was also clear yesterday in CoRE that we don't all understand the set of requirements that need to be solved. We are still living in the solution looking for a problem phase. In addition to that there are also revocation proposals that have been submitted recently, and a clear need for ACL management.

The nice thing about the IETF, is that even if you don't have a home for work yet, you can still work on it. I would encourage the authors doing AA and revocation related work to get together, figure out what the actual problems to be solved are (talk to industry too) and then combine solutions. CoRE is still probably a good mailing list to do that on for now. As more people are agreeing about the problem space and are interested to work on the (same) problem, we can find/make a home.

Zach

--
Zach Shelby, Chief Nerd, Sensinode Ltd.
http://www.sensinode.com @SensinodeIoT