Re: [core] draft-ietf-core-sid-00, SID allocation

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Mon, 14 November 2016 00:17 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:17:17 +0900
To: peter van der Stok <consultancy@vanderstok.org>
Cc: Core <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] draft-ietf-core-sid-00, SID allocation

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 09:12, peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Dear YANG-SID authors,
>
> I want to propose a change to the allocation of SIDs.
> Currently, the SIDs are divided in ranges and prospective users can register a range with IANA.
> When the range is already assigned, they need to select a new not allocated range.
> I think that this will discourage many future SDOs who may want to use YANG + COMI. Many of these SDOs like to figure out the best number structure for their uses, and will be very disappointed when they cannot acquire the range. Actually, I believe, they will abandon the use of YANG + COMI.

Well, the idea was that an SDO that is in the business of writing YANG modules gets a large amount of SID space they then can administer in any way they like.  So they are never in a position to have to go to IANA again to allocate specific parts of that SID space.

> My proposal is to assign numbers to modules, and let IANA handle the module number registration as proposed for the SIDs. The assignment of SIDs to YANG identifiers, as proposed in the draft remains, the same. The difference is the complete freedom to choose the SIDs in any given module. The advantage is that all modules can pick their values from the small number range.

Again, there is this complete freedom in the existing SID proposal, too, as long as the organization remembered to get a SID space in the first place.  (We’ll have to coax^w educate them to do this.)

Still, the idea of separating module numbers and intra-module IDs is worth exploring.

Grüße, Carsten