Re: [core] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-etch-03: (with COMMENT)

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Wed, 19 October 2016 06:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:03:16 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: core-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-core-etch@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, core@ietf.org, jiangsheng@huawei.com
Subject: Re: [core] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-etch-03: (with COMMENT)

Hi Benoit,

I confirm that ETCH is a building block for CoMI. It puts accessing
(multiple) parts of resources such as YANG list instances on a firmer
footing.
Concerning CoMI and CoOL I understand your confusion.
When we realized that there were more common things in CoMI and CoOL
than differences, we decided to merge solutions, and coauthor CoMI
with the objective to base it on RESTCONF and target it to low resource
networks and devices.
The CoOL people also were addressing the management of larger devices
still connected to low resource networks.
All the additions required for these devices will be part of the
complementary CoOl specification without burdening the devices that need
the basics delivered by CoMI.

Accompanying drafts concern specifying mime types, allocating numeric
identifiers, yang to CBOR encoding, and tools and additions that others
can describe better.

Hope this helps,
greetings,

Peter