Re: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-shelby-core-resource-directory-05.txt

"Kovatsch Matthias" <kovatsch@inf.ethz.ch> Wed, 22 May 2013 13:44 UTC

From: Kovatsch Matthias <kovatsch@inf.ethz.ch>
To: Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com>, "core@ietf.org WG" <core@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:44:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [193.10.67.36]
Subject: Re: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-shelby-core-resource-directory-05.txt

Dear Zach,
dear list

I was looking at the draft to clean up the experimental implementation included in Californium. Thereby I stumbled over the following things:

4. Simple Directory Discovery:
I think it should be clearer that POSTed links do not end up in the RD's /.well-known/core resource as absolute URIs. Giving a Location in the 2.01 Created response should fix that. Some reference to the lifetime of the RD entry and the possibility of periodic validation might be useful here.

5.1. Discovery:
The IP part overlaps with "4.1. Finding a Directory Server." Maybe this can be separated into a common section before the simple and function set RD.
"discovering the RD using the CoRE Link Format (also see Section 4.1)" is also a bit confusing. I guess this is referring to multicast discovery, so this should be mentioned directly (possibly in this new section mentioned above).

5. Resource Directory Function Set:
I was wondering what should happen when someone performs a GET on the EP location, e.g., GET /rd/4521.
Can we provide something useful there? Otherwise the document should hint that GET should be disallowed in this context.

7. RD Lookup Function Set:
The link </ep> in the responses to the domain lookup feels odd. Or maybe it is artificially pressing the domain list into the Link Format...
I would at least expect links to the rd-lookup where the domain information can be used (analogous to a ct attribute where the requester can also pick from a list):

</rd-lookup/res>;d="domain1 domain2"

Should "d" and the other attributes (ep, gp) be proper link-extensions? I guess we have to, if we want application/link-format to define the RESTful interaction including the filtering with attributes.
How does "gp" relate to draft-ietf-core-groupcomm?

9. Security Considerations:
A forward reference or the mentioning of access control should already be provided in the function set definitions. These random numbers under /rd/ lured me into thinking of them as access tokens. But they are quite bad for this purpose...

General:
The sub-resources of rd-lookup defined by a URI Template somehow conflict with my current understanding of REST. (Sorry for bringing up this topic again...)
./res, ./ep, and ./d are never linked from anywhere and cannot be discovered. So it is a classic service coupling. Should we just live with that or can we fix this somehow, e.g., with separate rt attributes and entries in /.well-known/core?
Otherwise the RD is quite nicely built around the CoRE Link Format media type.

Ciao
Matthias