Re: [core] New Version Notification for draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-12.txt

Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com> Fri, 23 October 2015 11:36 UTC

To: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
From: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:06:05 +0530
Cc: "core (core@ietf.org)" <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] New Version Notification for draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-12.txt

Hi Esko,
Thanks for the comments. The ID submission has been suspended on 19th till
starting of Yokohama meeting. So will address your comments when it
re-opens.

However, a few remarks :

> 4. Section 4.3 on the HC Proxy: returning 204 No Content seems not
> applicable in many cases – e.g. some HTTP methods may not allow for
> a 204 response (I didn’t check it though).

I did not find "No Content" to be associated with any specific method. The
definition I found (https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt) is as below:

"The server has fulfilled the request but does not need to return an
entity-body, and might want to return updated metainformation. The
response MAY include new or updated metainformation in the form of
entity-headers, which if present SHOULD be associated with the requested
variant.

If the client is a user agent, it SHOULD NOT change its document view from
that which caused the request to be sent. This response is primarily
intended to allow input for actions to take place without causing a change
to the user agent's active document view, although any new or updated
metainformation SHOULD be applied to the document currently in the user
agent's active view.

The 204 response MUST NOT include a message-body, and thus is always
terminated by the first empty line after the header fields."

Please share if you have any further input.

> What we can say at least is that: a HTTP PUT request SHOULD be
> answered with HTTP 204 , if the HC Proxy chose to suppress all
> classes of responses in the corresponding CoAP PUT request.
> (For example if the HC Proxy does partial suppression of only class
> 2.xx, then it gets more complicated – I could program my HC Proxy to
> wait a 20 seconds and only if no CoAP error response comes the proxy
> decides to answer with HTTP 204. This is more intricate than “always
> answer 204”.)

Actually, in the latest version we added a small paragraph in in the
Introduction (page 3):
" Wherever, in this draft, it is mentioned that a request from client is
with No-Response the intended meaning is that the client expressed its
disinterest for all or some selected classes of responses."

So, while writing the proxy consideration we consider the case of
suppressing all responses. In case of partial suppression (say, allowing
only the 4.xx error responses) the client (the proxy in this case) will
nyway wait for some pre-determined amount of time before it sends any
response to the HTTP side. If the client does not get a response within
that time then it will send a "No Content". If it receives any error
response then that response will automatically get translated to the
relevant HTTP code.

Does that sound alright?
We shall put more clear description in the next version.

Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Associate Consultant
Scientist, Innovation Lab, Kolkata, India
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Consulting

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> wrote on 10/21/2015 01:18:23 PM:

> From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
> To: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>, "Rahman,
> Akbar (Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com)" <Akbar.Rahman@InterDigital.com>
> Cc: "core (core@ietf.org)" <core@ietf.org>
> Date: 10/21/2015 01:19 PM
> Subject: RE: New Version Notification for draft-tcs-coap-no-
> response-option-12.txt
>
> Hello Abhijan,
>
> Thanks for the update. Here a few more remarks to consider:
>
> 1.  Table 2, DELETE method: “MAY NOT” is not defined in RFC 2119 –
> so better not used.
> Here the current text does not give much guidance. And there seems
> to be no need for requirements language I think? What about:
> “If the client wants to ensure that the deletion really happened, it
> should not make use of the No-Response option. No use cases have
> been identified so far for DELETE.”
> I would not capitalize the “should not” in this text, like we have
> for the GET case.
>
> 2. I would separate the option definition from the applicability
> table 2. So, the text starting with “This option contains values to
> indicate disinterest in …” and the table itself could go into a new
> subsection called “Applicability for CoAP Methods” or similar.
> Because strictly speaking it is not part of the option definition.
>
> 3. The text in the Table 2 on GET talks about ‘usual circumstances’
> which may leave the reader wondering if GET to cancel an observe
> relation is usual or unusual.
> In fact we could say that the option MAY be used in a GET request
> intended to cancel an Observe relationship; and the option SHOULD
> NOT be used by the client in other cases – with the exception being
> that a clear use case for this is identified. Still a server MUST
> support a combination of GET with the No-Response option.
>
> 4. Section 4.3 on the HC Proxy: returning 204 No Content seems not
> applicable in many cases – e.g. some HTTP methods may not allow for
> a 204 response (I didn’t check it though).
> Also the HC Proxy doesn’t know whether the request was successful
> (which 204 implies) or not.   So I don’t see why we can give this
> guideline without knowing the specific (use) cases.
> What we can say at least is that: a HTTP PUT request SHOULD be
> answered with HTTP 204 , if the HC Proxy chose to suppress all
> classes of responses in the corresponding CoAP PUT request.
> (For example if the HC Proxy does partial suppression of only class
> 2.xx, then it gets more complicated – I could program my HC Proxy to
> wait a 20 seconds and only if no CoAP error response comes the proxy
> decides to answer with HTTP 204. This is more intricate than “always
> answer 204”.)
>
> Regards,
> Esko

Pal" <