Re: [core] Call for reviews of draft-castellani-core-http-mapping

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 09 April 2013 08:45 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 10:45:56 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] Call for reviews of draft-castellani-core-http-mapping

Dear wg,

Review of draft-castellani-core-http-mapping, including coap-14 section
10.

For me text and objective have become clearer compared to earlier
versions.
The objective of the document to describe proxies such that proxies
from different manufacturers can be exchanged is a valid motivation for
the document.

My first concern is the uri naming convention and proxy definition.
Concerning proxy definition:
I am happy with the explanation of forward, cross and reverse proxy, it
clarifies the bit opaque text of coap-14. However, it does not help me
much because the cullen example of
I-D.bormann-core-cross-reverse-convention is presented as reverse proxy
example while the text in castellani made me think it is a forward proxy
example, because the client seems to be aware that translation takes
place. There still seems to be a gap in my understanding from purely
reading the texts.
Concerning naming convention:
The document does not help much in restricting the URI naming
conventions. I would expect one of two things:
1)	Strict guidelines how to translate uris (restrict the number of
possibilities)
2)	Provide means to define the uri translation on the proxy.
I do not see any other way of making sure that proxies of different
manufacturers can be exchanged.

My second concern is that the document only treats http-coap
translation. The case coap-http seems more urgent. We do not want to
provide the small devices with a http/tcp code next to the coap/udp
code, while these devices will need to talk to “legacy” http back-end
servers. Suggestion: add the coap-http part.

Individual nits and suggestions.
Page 6, section 5, all 2, line 5…….explicitly indicates THAT it targets
…… (that forgotten?)
Section 5, all 3, unicast http to multicast coap is a completely
different document (remove the currently in the “currently out of
scope”. Wouldn’t you discourage the unicast to multicast aspect in a
standardized proxy?
Section 5.1 caching: add “given” to …. all request traffic to a given
COAP server…….
Sec 5.1 Multicast; possibly the wrong reason for a valid efficiency
argument: to connect a proxy interface to the mesh network.
Sec 5.1 TCP/UDP: I do not see the placement aspect here
Sec 5.2 Notes. Do you not need to give formulas? For example in note 8,
the determination of max-age value
Sec 5.4 how to configure the limit and queuing/dropping behavior? The
document should specify an interface.
Sec 5.5 and 5.6 I like the effort to specify limits of behaviors.
Sec 7. I understand that a proxy represents the typical “man in the
middle” threat. Having it securely connected to the network before any
access and a regular reconnection may have a positive effect.

hope this helps,

peter