Re: [core] Review of draft-koster-core-coap-pubsub-05

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 11 August 2016 15:23 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Hannes Tschofenig' <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, draft-koster-core-coap-pubsub@ietf.org, core@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:22:08 -0700
Subject: Re: [core] Review of draft-koster-core-coap-pubsub-05

I agree that having a 'queue mode' would be a nice feature, but I do not
believe that this is documented anyplace in this document.  Doing so would
require some additional text.  The current text says that messages are
always forwarded when they are received to a client.  If the client happens
to be asleep then it needs to go back and ask for the current value when it
wakes up.

> In my review I have been wondering why we aren't re-using the concepts
from
> LWM2M here.
>
> Regarding the "topics": I have read this a bit differently. For me, a node
has
> resources and it publishes those. Then, there are applications (Web
applications,
> smart phone apps) who sent requests for those resources. These resources
have
> to be identified somehow and in LWM2M there is a specific way of
addressing
> the standardized resources (and objects), as described in
> https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2016/03/ipso-paper.pdf. Maybe
> you want to be more generic here but I think it is important that there is
> standardized structure here and that we are not only talking in the style
of MQTT
> topics.

I do not follow how this came from my review.  Is this an independent item
or is it following from something that I asked in my review?

Jim