Re: [core] Bootstrap in draft-ohba-core-eap-based-bootstrapping and draft-garcia-core-security

Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp> Tue, 12 July 2011 23:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:13:15 +0900
From: Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp>
To: core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] Bootstrap in draft-ohba-core-eap-based-bootstrapping and draft-garcia-core-security

Hi Hannes, Bahcet,

Please see my comments below.

(2011/07/13 4:25), Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> Hi Hannes (Kelly and Rene who replied to me only),
>

> Let me clarify.
>
> I checked the Wiki page, it is about what I talked, i.e. bootstrapping your PC.
> I am OK with it.
>
> In Core WG drafts, draft-ohba is about "bootstrapping" CoAP applications,
> establishing a secure channel between the CoAP client and CoAP server.

Yes.

> As such it assumes a secure IP communication which is what we cover in
> draft-sarikaya.
>
> I think that establishing a secure channel between the CoAP client and CoAP
> server should not be called bootstrapping.

For example, RFC 4640 discuss "bootstrapping MIPv6", and in its abstract:

"A mobile node needs at least the following information: a home
address, a home agent address, and a security association with home
agent to register with the home agent.  The process of obtaining this
information is called bootstrapping."

This means that bootstrapping MIPv6 security is part of bootstrapping
MIPv6.

Following the same logic, I think bootstrapping CoAP security can be
considered as part of bootstrapping CoAP application.

> OTOH, draft-garcia is totally chaotic about "bootstrapping". In Section 3 it
> talks about  trust bootstrapping between nodes of
>     different vendors. Then it talks about bootstrapping phase/procedures.
> Later on they mention the bootstrapping of security keys.
>
> Section 5.2 Bootstrapping of a Security Domain
> In Section 5.2.2 it tries to give a definition to bootstrapping.
>
> My suggestions are:
>
> for draft-ohba: please do not use bootstrapping, otherwise your draft is clear
> enough.

Since the term bootstrapping is already used for MIPv6 case, I think
it can still use the term, but I agree that the draft should say
bootstrapping CoAP security instead of bootstrapping CoAP application.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba