[COSE] How COSE items are identified

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Mon, 16 November 2015 07:15 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: Ace@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:12:30 -0800
Cc: cose@ietf.org
Subject: [COSE] How COSE items are identified

We seem to have a potential problem for how COSE items are identified.

Initially, we used an integer inside of the structure to identify it.  That
is how the current ACE documents are written. This uses a single byte.

At the request of Carsten, we moved from doing this to using a tag at the
front of the structure.  Carsten believes that this can be done with a tag
that is in the two byte range when encoded (tag, length=1, tag value).  Part
of the reason that I agreed was that this was not really being used at the
time by the ACE documents.

If one is almost always doing encrypted, then one could encode that
structure w/o the tag and do the other three structures with the tag.  This
would probably be ok as it would mostly use the smallest tagging (none) when
needed the most and use larger tagging (2 bytes) for the rest of the
structures.

Alternatively, we could modify the document to request the assignment of
tags in the one byte range for the most common structures and two bytes for
the less common structures (and have arguments about which is which).

Alternatively, we could revert back to putting an integer tag inside of the
array structure.

Comments on this are requested.

Jim