Re: [Crisp] Last call comments for iris-lwz

David Blacka <davidb@verisignlabs.com> Wed, 26 October 2005 20:24 UTC

From: David Blacka <davidb@verisignlabs.com>
Subject: Re: [Crisp] Last call comments for iris-lwz
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:24:26 -0400
To: CRISP WG <crisp@ietf.org>
Sender: crisp-bounces@ietf.org

On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Andrew Newton wrote:

> I agree on all counts.
>
> As for draft mechanics, I think this general text should be placed
> in an appendix except for the MUST/SHOULD language on the maximum
> size.

Egads! An appendix! Does anybody actually *read* appendices? ;)

> Does anybody have a problem with 4k being that maximum size?

Note that this is a maximum from the client perspective (i.e., the
client will send requests no larger than this), and a minimum from
the server perspective (i.e., the server should accept requests of at
least this size).

The idea here is to provide a metric that is likely to work across
most providers and networks so that clients can be efficient.  That
is, not try lwz when lwz is unlikely to work. (Clients, also, when
given a choice between transports, might also like to forgo lwz when
it would expect the response to be large, as well. But I don't think
that this needs to be said in the document.)