[Crisp] Clarification for error situations needed

Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz@denic.de> Fri, 26 May 2006 12:06 UTC

To: crisp@ietf.org
From: Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz@denic.de>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:06:15 +0200
Subject: [Crisp] Clarification for error situations needed

Dear all,

We are trying to get some corner cases of our DCHK implementation right.
This one tracks back to IRIS core itself and is about sending an
inexistent/not supported registryType or entityClass in a query to a
server, for instance:

  <searchSet>
    <lookupEntity registryType="inexistent_type_here"
entityName="denic.de" entityClass="inexistent_class_here"/>
  </searchSet>

I am unsure about what the correct answer from the server would be.

VeriSign's IRIS server quits with a BEEP error 501, but this doesn't seem
right to me: RFC 3080 defines 501 as "syntax error in parameters (e.g.,
non-valid XML)" and illustrates with two examples, in which *BEEP's own
XML* contains wrong parameters, not the XML of the application being
transported. This latter approach being sound for me: we shouldn't start
mixing up errors of different layers.

To be able to solve this at the IRIS layer itself, we have the codeTypes
<invalidName> and <invalidSearch> in RFC 3981:

  o  <invalidName> -- A name given in a query is not syntactically
correct.
  o  <invalidSearch> -- Parameters of the corresponding query are not
semantically meaningful.

But I am not sure which one should apply here: A "name" was rather meant
to be an "entity name", I don't think this to be the correct error code.
OTOH, values of query attributes are somehow "parameters" of the "query"
(it's actually not a query, but a lookup, however that should not be
relevant here).

Alternatively a more neutral

   o  <nameNotFound> -- The name given in a query does not match a known
entity.

could be returned, since at the end of the day, the lack of a match is
true. But then the futility of further queries for that registryType or
entityClass is not communicated to the client.

You see: two RFC authors, two different implementations. What do you
think? And what are doing other implementations out there?

Best regards,
Marcos