Re: [cso] [irtf-discuss] a new research proposal

Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com> Mon, 21 March 2011 21:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:40:02 +0000
From: Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com>
To: "Steiner, Moritz (Moritz)" <moritz@bell-labs.com>, "irtf-discuss@irtf.org" <irtf-discuss@irtf.org>
Cc: "cso@ietf.org" <cso@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [cso] [irtf-discuss] a new research proposal

Hi Moritz,

Thanks for your review of and interest in the draft and providing a set of excellent discussion points and questions.

As you indicated, the benefit of cross application/network optimization applied to network operators as well as application providers. One of the key problems today is the lack of application-awareness by the networks and vice versa. So I believe the proposal would benefit both application and network and ultimately the end-users, especially for the mission-critical application users.

In regard to the question why today's load balancing is not good enough, I think the question depends on the kind of application we are dealing with. For web-based applications including streaming video, etc, I think today's load balancing works well in most of cases. On the other hands, for mission-critical applications, today's load balancing may not be good enough to meet the requirement of critical end-user applications such as remote medical surgery, real-time interactive 3D video applications, mission critical financial transaction services, etc. All these application should be provided with some level of resource guarantee above and beyond "best effort."

For your question on why not reusing ALTO mechanisms, I am for it actually if the ALTO mechanisms can provide solutions to the requirements. One thing ALTO may be lacking is the exchange of network abstraction information --- no network operators want to reveal detail network topology and resource (e.g., available bandwidth) information. So we need to investigate network abstraction mechanism and "virtual" network topology exchange, etc., as part of the research. But I agree with you that, we can reuse existing mechanisms where possible.

Thanks,
Young