Re: [cso] Some thoughts from the CSO Bar BOF...

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Fri, 03 December 2010 14:36 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: cso@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 15:37:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [cso] Some thoughts from the CSO Bar BOF...

Hi,

I participated in both Bar BoFs and I believe that in the area of Cross-Layer
Optimization is still a lot of space to do thing better but I don't believe
in a generic approach.
I would like to response to the points below and also give some feedback to
the charter. First the points below:

(a) If you would have the global system view which has all the information
about the application and the network state, I'm sure its possible to
optimize the system such that all players will benefit. But we are talking
here about a distributed system where every player tries to maximize its own
benefit. I would say even if you provide the needed information you can't be
sure that automatically everybody will benefit. Moreover, you would have to
give for every player the right incentives to actually make a decision that
will optimize the whole system and not only the benefit of one single player.
Moreover, if you have several entities/different point in different layers
which make decisions based on the same information, you have to be very
careful that those decisions will not be counterproductive. E.g. an
application changes the coding to lower bitrate and the network reserves more
capacity at the same time. It's basically impossible to show the stability of
such a complex system. It's already hard to make any stability investigations
about multi-protocol networks.

(b) I still don't get your point here. As you say 'best effort' means that you
always try to get the maximum but you never know what the maximum is/what you
get. This doesn't go in-line for me with any kind of services guarantees. If
you want guarantees you can use e.g. resource reservation. But than you know
exactly what you get and you don't need any further cross-layer state
information.

(c) You say: '... definition of a "data center" as something like "a location
within the network where application resources maybe aggregated". What?
Is 'the network' in your case the Internet? I would say a data center is not
in the Internet. It maybe is at the border of the Internet but its a
completely separated network were one entity has the control over all the
physical devices within this network. That makes it easier to solve certain
problems in a data center than in the Internet. But I don't see how it help
to define the problem of CSO any better.

(d) Can you provide the pointers to all this material? But for me this
examples look already so different that I wouldn't wanne try to find one
generic solution for all of them. We just wrote an project proposal where the
original idea was to do something about cross-layer optimization. But as we
couldn't define the problem clearly, we thought it might make more sense to
look at specific problems (one certain application in one network scenario)
and find a solution for those problems in such a that it is generic enough to
be used by other applications as well. (I have to say I'm working on
transport protocols, so we were mainly focusing on solutions in the transport
layer with application layer information/for one specific application type).

Some remarks about the charter:
- I still don't see which information you want to exchange. Whenever I asked
this question, I got the same two examples like delay and bandwidth. But I
don't believe that any application developer does understand what to do with
these information. Btw. you can ask your socket interface for the congestion
window and the RTT. These information are basically similar but completely
useless for the application. You could maybe use these information aggregated
over a certain time. This could give you an impression about the link state
but still doesn't give you any guaranteed information for the future as the
link state changes permanently.
It's a really complicated task to define an interface in such a that not only
the right information can be exchanged but they are also represented in the
right what. It's not only what but also how.

- From the Bar BoF I had the impression that the problem is more about which
information should be exchanged but the charter is talking about a whole
protocol. I would say to exchange information in one point between the layers
you don't need a protocol but an inferface. I don't believe that you can find
a generic interface here that will address all problems (and will be
implemented by all kind of applications). I would assume that you have to
change/extend the interface for every problem separately.
If you want a protocol to expose certain information within the same layer,
this is completely different problem. This also goes in the direction of
measuring and monitoring network state. There are tons of proposal for
measuring all different kind of thing. And again I would say the solution
differ a lot depending on what information you are aiming for.

- One more general comment: Whenever you talk about CSO I have the feeling
that you basically want to provide more information for the application. Why
not providing more information for the lower layers about the traffic
characteristics, requirements and maybe even user preferences of the
application? Should the information actually go in both directions or will
this increase the possibility of counterproductive decision?

Just my thoughts. I would like to start this discussion on the list, as I
think this is an intresting topic but your proposal it not concrete enough
for me to see the action points in the IETF. I'm an academic and do research
on this topic up to now.

Mirja