[dane] Questions from IESG review #2 - From Russ Housley

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Fri, 08 June 2012 21:08 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 17:08:40 -0400
To: dane@ietf.org
Subject: [dane] Questions from IESG review #2 - From Russ Housley

Hi all,

There are a number of questions that came out of the IESG Evaluation on draft-ietf-dane-protocol-21 that we would like the WG input on…

I am not going to try summarize the discussions / views -- the discussions are short and / or subtle enough that you should read them yourself if you have an opinion / want more details.

Unless we hear SCOAT (Strong Clear Objections with Alternate Text) by Wednesday June 13th we will remove the old text.

Based on the briefing in the SAAG Session at IETF 83, I strongly
 suggest that this text be removed from Section 6.

At the time this is written, it is expected that there will be a new
family of hash algorithms called SHA-3 within the next few years.
It is expected that some of the SHA-3 algorithms will be mandatory
and/or recommended for TLSA records after the algorithms are fully
defined.  At that time, this specification will be updated.

If folk disagree with removing this text, please read the SAAG minutes (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/minutes/minutes-83-saag.txt), Tim's presentation on the SHA-3 Competition (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-saag-0.pdf) and maybe the audio archives as well.

<no hat>
In case it wasn't obvious I too think this should be pulled. Speculating about the future gets us into tricky territory as does committing future folk to do stuff. If we mention that SHA-3 is coming and we'll rev the draft then, do we also need to mention SHA-4? SHA-17? SHA-33.3?  OMG, when will the madness stop?! ….Sorry, got a little carried away there….

</no hat>

American Non-Sequitur Society;
we don't make sense, but we do like pizza!