Re: [keyassure] WG Review: Keys In DNS (kidns)

Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Tue, 26 October 2010 21:36 UTC

From: Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:38:14 +0100
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: keyassure@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [keyassure] WG Review: Keys In DNS (kidns)

Hi folks,
 I entirely disagree with this suggestion to delay protocol work until after
a "full" problem statement/requirements analysis has been done.

It's the IETF, for goodness sakes, and many a proposed group hasn't even
been able to START until it's almost too late for any market due to being
buried under requirements capture and analysis and even building consensus
on terminology [Ahem - Speermint, Drinks, ...]. Also, can we avoid taking
a small and simple idea and burying it under a load of different potential
options before it even gets to be a WG -- [HIP -- sigh].
Let's not do that yet again, please.

The work so far has pretty obvious target uses (TLS, IPSEC), and expanding
this list forever is hardly in keeping with the "small bite" approach that
the IETF is supposed to prefer.

The fact that the work described in the charter is not ALL the work that is
needed to roll out this scheme should be entirely unsurprising. It's surely
not a reason to stop ANY work (apart from deep thought on the problem space).
I trust we don't require a PS-level fully worked system before a WG can begin.

In Maastricht there was quite a bit of support for this work; I do not see
a drop in the effort being applied. It seems to have momentum and people to
work on its charter tasks.
I believe that the WG should begin now, and I would trust that there can be
implementations to test out the initial proposals soon. Running code is good.
This assumes the protocol work is not slugged by being forced to wait for
everything else to be complete first -- it would be a shame if 3GPP (or the
ITU §-) were quicker at delivery that the IETF.

We're wildly agreeing that the potential of DNSSEC as an alternative trust and
validation approach for TLS/IPSEC is interesting, and I for one would like to
be able to add this as part of the toolbox I can apply soon.
Before I retire would be good.

There are bound to be some areas that are local policy -- clients might choose
one policy or another, but at the moment they don't have the choice.
This WG claims to give that choice. One can write documents until one's hand
drops off, but in the end it's up to the market.
IMHO -- give this WG a chance to DEMONSTRATE this scheme, and let's see what
falls.

all the best,
  Lawrence