Re: [dane] Digest Algorithm Agility discussion

mrex@sap.com (Martin Rex) Mon, 17 March 2014 22:23 UTC

To: Paul Wouters <paul@cypherpunks.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:23:20 +0100
From: mrex@sap.com
Cc: dane WG list <dane@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dane] Digest Algorithm Agility discussion

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>>
>> This is not "use strongest".  This is the opposite.  It forces the
>> use of tarnished, but still acceptable digests even when untarnished
>> digests are present.  The new proposal is to ignore all but the
>> strongest, even when the remainder would be usable.
>>
>> Also the pseudo-code in the appendices loops over *all* "usable" TLSA
>> RRs (those not banned by 4.1).
>
> Okay, I understand your point now. The text in 6698 is indeed doing some
> half weird local policy client dictation that it should not have done.

DANE does not have any "tarnished" hash algorithms.

DANE does not allow SHA1 at all and needs SHA-256 as a minimum.

The weakest "link" is therefore the hash that is used by DNSSEC
for the digital signature of the RRSET, which currently is SHA-1.

As long as DNSSEC does not require "stronger than SHA-256", it will
be pure bike-shedding to prefer a SHA-512 TLSA record over a SHA-256 one.

And you probably do not want to hold your breath until DNSSEC has
overcome SHA-1 based signatures.

The notion that hashes allowed by DANE can be ordered by strength/weakness
is also wrong.  In the future, hashes with the same output size might
get a codepoint assigned and used, and some of them might not be
implemented by all DANE clients.  Think of hashes from the russian
GOST family of algorithms.  Usage of SHA-512/256 over SHA-256 is not
motivated by algorithm strength concerns, but rather by raw hash throughput
considerations on 64-bit platforms.

-Martin