Re: [Dart] Open Issue: Guidance for RTCP

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 25 August 2014 10:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:08:53 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] Open Issue: Guidance for RTCP

On 08/25/2014 09:57 AM, Black, David wrote:
> (as editor)
>
> I believe the core of this issue is the role of RTCP in providing RTT
> estimates.  This is the core of open issue [B] and resolving it is
> likely to resolve much of open issue [F].

I think we're just scratching at a deeper issue here:

What is the role of the RTT estimate, and is RTT what we're looking for?

In ack-based congestion control, RTT estimates are used to determine
when we should say "we have not seen the ACK we expected" - which
indicates either packet loss or increased congestion, either on the
forward or the reverse path - the algorithm does not care which.

The signal is only useful for end-of-packet-train packet loss (because
otherwise there will be later packets leading to SACK indications of
lost packets before the RTT timer runs out), so the exact value doesn't
really matter - only that the false positive rate isn't too high.

In delay-based, sender-side-only congestion control, however, RTT has to
be used as a stand-in for the sender->receiver transit time (because we
have nothing else). So any variation in return-path RTT is going to be
interpreted as congestion change on the forward path - which means wrong
decisions.

My conclusions are two:

- If delay-based senders-side-only is used, what matters is that the
feedback signal gets there with as little delay variation as possible.
The highest precedence available should be used.

- Delay-based schemes need to have the timing done at receiver. RTT is
just too sensitive to errors.

The last argument belongs in RMCAT, not here. I'll leave the first
argument for your consideration.

> I believe the key question is:
>
> 	Is the role of RTCP in providing RTCP estimates important enough
> 	to serve as the primary basis for providing guidance on DSCP usage
> 	w/RTCP?
>
> Here's a summary of the "yes it is" viewpoint (from Colin Perkins):
>
> 	Using a single
> 	PHB and DSCP for all RTCP packets within an RTP session might make
> 	sense, but it's important to note that one role of RTCP is to provide
> 	an estimate of the round-trip time seen by the media, so the PHB/DSCP
> 	will have to be chosen with care to avoid biasing that estimate too
> 	much.

To which my comment is "media has no round trip time". Media goes one way.