Re: [Dart] AF - DSCPs, PHBs and remarking

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Tue, 17 June 2014 07:52 UTC

From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: david.black@emc.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:52:18 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] AF - DSCPs, PHBs and remarking

Hi David,

you are of course correct with your assessment on standards. You've asked
for information on what's implemented today and that's what I've provided.

Each AF DSCP identifies an individual PHB. If classification is DSCP
based and limits apply on the number of PHBs, that's what providers have
to respect. This limit still applies, if e.g. all AF4 packets are operated
by the same scheduler (which I'd expect from a provider deployment).

It is also somewhat demanding to configure 14 PHBs to support just rtcweb
on a  retail access and then provide additional PHBs for services of a
provider. The provider may offer some services with admission control and
if rtcweb isn't running through the same admission control, this requires
additional PHBs. Some carriers may have deployed DiffServ already, when
rtcweb starts to use it.

Regards,

Ruediger