[dcp] an update on DCP

Sally Floyd <floyd@icir.org> Wed, 27 March 2002 01:11 UTC

To: dcp@ietf.org
From: Sally Floyd <floyd@icir.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:11:45 -0800
Subject: [dcp] an update on DCP
Sender: dcp-admin@ietf.org

Here is an update on DCP:

* The drafts:
We have revised the DCP drafts, and they are available on the DCP
web page at "http://www.icir.org/kohler/dcp/".  The revisions include
a new state diagram in Section 5.3.7 in draft-kohler-dcp-02.txt,
and changes in the "Profile for DCP Congestion Control ID 3: TFRC
Congestion Control", draft-padhye-dcp-ccid3-02.txt, to get rid of
unnecessary information that had been carried in the protocol header.
Furthermore, we have removed CCID 0 (Single-Window Congestion Control).

* WG charter:
DCP didn't meet at the recent Minneapolis IETF, because we haven't yet
been chartered as a Working Group, and there was no meeting scheduled
of TSVWG. However, we are hopeful that we will be chartered quite soon,
and will meet at Yokohama, and that we will get a lot of work done
between now and then.

* Research implementations:
We are looking for people to do research implementations of DCP.
We understand that the DCP specifications are quite likely to change
as we progress, so the point of an implementation would be to learn
more about real-world protocol issues that we have overlooked.

* A new name: DCCP?
We have been looking for a new name, and the current candidate is DCCP,
Datagram Congestion-Controlled Protocol.  DCP was not a big hit as a name
at the last BOF.

* Feedback on DCP:
We would also like to hear from potential users of DCP.  We'd like to
know what uses you envisage, and we'd like feedback about whether the
strawman protocol in the current drafts satisfies the requirements of
likely users.

Thanks,
- Eddie, Mark, and Sally