Re: AW: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]

Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com> Mon, 13 March 2006 10:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:00:39 +0100
From: Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com>
To: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org

Hi Hannes,

All the questions that you mention are some of the reasons to have a WG
looking at what do we need to operate a DiffServ network. Even if we
focus on protocols, as you did in your e-mail, all your questions show
that although we have a set of protocols available in IETF we still
don't know our to inter-operate them for a common goal. The control of
Diffserv networks, in this case.

About what comes first, protocols or service control, IMO a protocol is
only useful if we know why do we need it. Transporting data-control
packets among network devices serves the goal of controlling some
network functionality. In the case of DiffServ, it is not clear what
protocols (and what content semantic) do we need and how will they
interact to control DiffServ operations.

I see this as a very good opportunity to stress the cooperation between
different IETF WGs with  a common goal in mind. So, DCPEL is all about
cooperation and not about competition between WGs.

Paulo