Re: [Dcpel] some comments on draft-vandenberghe-dcpel-basics-00.txt

Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com> Fri, 03 March 2006 13:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:49:43 +0100
From: Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com>
To: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Dcpel] some comments on draft-vandenberghe-dcpel-basics-00.txt
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org

Hi Robert,

to add something to Kathie's e-mail, here is an extract of your e-mail:

Kathleen Nichols wrote:

>> 4. SIP interactions
>

> The quick response is that we didn't plan to change SIP or 3312 but
> to use that as a guideline for our framework, that is, our framework
> should have a way to interoperate in the 3312 sense. It was suggested
> as a starting point (and maybe sufficient) for application
> interaction.

[Paulo] It is also my opinion that 3312 can provide some guideline on
the interaction between applications and network, in both ends of a
communication session. However, IMO it is not clear the interaction of
the SIP signaling and the DiffServ inter-domain interactions. In 3312,
it is proposed to configure network resources e2e by means of a protocol
like RSVP, being the RSVP signaling triggered by end-hosts at both ends
of the communication session. In this context, 3312 approach may be an
option to trigger the configuration of the necessary PDBs in all
DiffServ domains between the involved end-hosts. However, the most
suitable mechanism to configure PDBs in a set of DiffServ domains should
be analyzed within DCPEL.

>> 5. Is development of signalling protocols in scope or not?
>>
>> 4.1.2 says that "...definition of an interdomain QoS signaling protocol
>> is considered as future work for the proposed DCPEL WG", but 4.2 only
>> lists interworking with existing protocols. This seems contradictory.
>

> So I think this is a language failure. I think we meant something more
> like "selection" instead of "definition" subject to the state of the
> art at the time interdomain is being considered. But perhaps others
> have a different opinion.

[Paulo] My opinion is somehow similar. It is not the main focus of DCPEL
the definition of new signaling protocols. Like I said in my previous
comment, our attention is to analyze what is the best approach to
control the interworking between DiffServ domains. This analysis may
lead to the selection of an existing protocol. For instance, we may
conclude that QoS-NSLP may be used to provide some kind of interworking.
But we may also conclude that other signaling protocols (presented as
I-D) may also bring benefits to DiffServ interworking. In the later
case, we must decide what to do. An hypothesis may be, for instance, to
propose the specification of a new NSLP to the NSIS WG.

Cheers
Paulo