[Dcpel] Comments on draft-mendes-dcpel-requirements-00.txt

Olivier Dugeon <Olivier.Dugeon@francetelecom.com> Mon, 16 January 2006 17:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:27:14 +0100
From: Olivier Dugeon <Olivier.Dugeon@francetelecom.com>
To: dcpel@ietf.org
Subject: [Dcpel] Comments on draft-mendes-dcpel-requirements-00.txt
Sender: dcpel-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Paulo and all,

Following the last draft sent by Kathleen, here it is some comments
about your draft:

On page 2, do you think it is suitable to mention application (or
customer) request as an example of service which need DS Control Plane ?

On page 6, you mention that DCP must support heterogeneous network
including mobile. Do you think that DCP must support mobility or just
nomadic. In case of mobility, how do you think that handover could be
support ? I think it's a very huge problem.

On page 7, like on draft-vandenberghe-dcepl-basis-00.txt, I think that
the monitoring should include network topology acquisition in order to
the DCP to be path aware. In fact, globaly speaking regarding NSIS,
which are path coupled, the DCP should be path-decoupled, but, in the
same time be path awareness. I understand that, stating like this, it is
a little bit disappointed, but, in order to correctly handle a DS domain
and perform admission control, the DCP must know a minimu about the
network it control. This include at least the topology.

On page 8, you describe the SLS, but not mention the function necessary
to manipulate the SLSs. I think it could be include:
Request, Delete, Modify, Announce, Query as basis functions and
certainly need some maintenance functions like GetAll, DeleteAll ...

On page 9, about the inter-domain (bullet point 2). You mention packet
re-marking at the inter-domain boundary. Do you think that this
statement must be extend to policy (in fact, all DS actions: classify,
policy, marking/dropping and scheduling) ? Operator wants to control
what is entering their network despite that there is a contract with the
sender. In any case the traffic is control, mark and shaped or spaced if
necessary. Packet dropping could occur if the contract is not respected.

I also note some mis-spelling (like double section) and generally wants
to propose some sentence adjustment. Did you directly write the draft in
plain text or do you use another format ? If yes, is it possible to get
the original file in order to propose my corrections ?

Finally, as the other proposed draft, I'm in favor of this draft and
think it is in good shape to provide material for a DCPEL BoF.

Best regards,

Olivier

--
Project Manager for Network architecture and switching Division
 & FT/DR&D/CORE/M2I           | mailto:Olivier.Dugeon@francetelecom.com