[Detnet] New Liaison Statement, "Liaison response to work items related to deterministic communication in ITU-T SG13"

Liaison Statement Management Tool <statements@ietf.org> Mon, 22 November 2021 21:21 UTC

From: Liaison Statement Management Tool <statements@ietf.org>
To: János Farkas <janos.farkas@ericsson.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: János Farkas <janos.farkas@ericsson.com>, Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>, Deterministic Networking Discussion List <detnet@ietf.org>, Eric Gray <Eric.Gray@Ericsson.com>, Glenn Parsons <glenn.parsons@ericsson.com>, John Messenger <JMessenger@advaoptical.com>, John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>, Paul Nikolich <p.nikolich@ieee.org>, liaison-coordination@iab.org
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 13:21:13 -0800
Subject: [Detnet] New Liaison Statement, "Liaison response to work items related to deterministic communication in ITU-T SG13"

Title: Liaison response to work items related to deterministic communication in ITU-T SG13
Submission Date: 2021-11-22
URL of the IETF Web page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1764/
Please reply by 2021-12-31
From: Glenn Parsons <glenn.parsons@ericsson.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>,János Farkas <janos.farkas@ericsson.com>
Cc: Eric Gray <Eric.Gray@Ericsson.com>,John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>,Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>,Deterministic Networking Discussion List <detnet@ietf.org>,János Farkas <janos.farkas@ericsson.com>,Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>,Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>
Response Contacts: Paul Nikolich <p.nikolich@ieee.org>,Glenn Parsons <glenn.parsons@ericsson.com>,John Messenger <JMessenger@advaoptical.com>
Technical Contacts:
Purpose: For action

Body: The IEEE 802.1 Working Group would like to thank ITU-T Study Group 13 for the information provided
in liaison statement SG13-LS217 about work items related to deterministic communication in ITU-T SG13.

>From an organizational perspective, there are three coordinated standardization initiatives for deterministic communication:
• IEEE: Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN)
• IETF: Deterministic Networking (DetNet)
• 3GPP: SA Working Group 2

As part of IEEE 802, the IEEE 802.1 TSN Task Group (TSN TG) is focused on TSN scoped to Local/Metropolitan Area Networks. For application areas that require deterministic communication in a Local/Metropolitan Area Network, a TSN profile standard is standardized. Examples of ongoing TSN profile projects include:
• IEC/IEEE 60802: TSN Profile for Industrial Automation
• IEEE P802.1DG: TSN Profile for Automotive In-Vehicle Ethernet Communications
• IEEE P802.1DP / SAE AS 6675: TSN for Aerospace Onboard Ethernet Communications

With each application profile, the TSN TG coordinates with the leading standardization organization for that application (e.g., IEC for industrial automation, SAE International for aerospace). This helps to meet the needs of that application profile in a Local/Metropolitan Area Network.

Many of these applications have needs beyond a Local/Metropolitan Area Network, including the Internet and 5G/6G networks. The TSN TG uses its coordination with IETF and 3GPP to help meet those needs as well. The overall goal is to provide coordination among standardization initiatives for deterministic communication.

The work items related to deterministic communication in ITU-T SG13 appear to be proposed independently of this coordination. The risk of such independence is that ITU-T SG13 could miss out on much of the coordination with the applications that ITU-T SG13 work items aim to target (such as smart industry).

The IEEE 802.1 Working Group also looks forward to continued collaboration with ITU-T SG13. In that spirit, please find in Annex our technical considerations related to the documents attached to your liaison statement. Additionally, in the context of deterministic communication, we invite ITU-T SG13 to work as an integrated part of the coordination described above. We are happy to develop our TSN technology further to address needs and requirements as they arise. We welcome you and any interested parties to join, contribute, and work together towards addressing market needs.

Note that the IEEE 802 work is open and contribution driven. Participation is on an individual basis and technical discussion can be conducted based on individual contributions. The TSN Task Group holds regular electronic meetings: details are available at https://1.ieee802.org/wg-calendar.
Attachments:

    liaison-response-itu-t-SG13-LS217-determcommunics-1121-v01
    https://www.ietf.org/lib/dt/documents/LIAISON/liaison-2021-11-22-ieee-802-1-detnet-liaison-response-to-work-items-related-to-deterministic-communication-in-itu-t-sg13-attachment-1.pdf