Re: [Detnet] TSN scheduling/queuing algorithms and DetNet

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 09 October 2023 16:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 18:44:42 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: peng.shaofu@zte.com.cn
Cc: David.Black@dell.com, florian.kauer@linutronix.de, detnet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Detnet] TSN scheduling/queuing algorithms and DetNet

On Sat, Oct 07, 2023 at 02:54:15PM +0800, peng.shaofu@zte.com.cn wrote:
> Hi Toerless,
>
> In the following forwarding example you provided, the router in the box
> only contains two interfaces, one incoming and one outgoing, so it seems
> that queueing work may need only be done on L2-switch in the same box.

Assumption in the pictures showing a Rtr component was always that the input and
output are on different IP subnets, so L3 forwarding is involved. But for each of the
IP subnets, there is also an (internal) L2 switch involved. Hence the option of
doing the latency/throughput guarantees at L2 and/or L3 (and you certainly would
love to avoid duplication of effort).

> However, there may be fan-in for each router, and IMO this is the main
> reason that we need also consider L3 queueing.

yes, not shown.

> Not sure if I get your point, just a little comment.

These mixed L2/L3 devices are a mess, but as long as we stay below 100Gbps, i fear
it will be a big part of actual deployments for DetNet. So good to understand and
think what to do about them.

For about two decades i had hoped IETF would be intelligent enough to work on
making IP work well enough so that deployments could avoid those built-in L2 switches
and their config and added complexity (think about a router whose built-in L2 switches
also need to do Spanning Tree *sigh*).

Cheers
    Toerless