[Detnet] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-detnet-ip-oam-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 12 February 2024 16:33 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-detnet-ip-oam@ietf.org, detnet-chairs@ietf.org, detnet@ietf.org, lberger@labn.net, janos.farkas@ericsson.com, janos.farkas@ericsson.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 08:33:17 -0800
Subject: [Detnet] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-detnet-ip-oam-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-detnet-ip-oam-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-ip-oam/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-detnet-ip-oam-12

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and one nit.

Special thanks to János Farkas for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus and the justification of the intended status.

Other thanks to Roman Danyliw as the acting AD ;-)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Section 1

Is the 1st paragraph defining what is OAM a little too light ? Operations cover
more than performance monitoring. But, this is not critical for this I-D.

## Section 2.1

Should there be a reference for diff serv and ICMPv[46]?

Isn't it a little weird to use in an IP-only document the sentence `MPLS
networks providing LSP connectivity between DetNet nodes are an example of the
underlay layer` ?

## Section 3

I will let my fellow OPS ADs to chime in, but `OAM protocols and mechanisms act
within the data plane of the particular networking layer` is of course
applicable for the in-path monitoring part of OAM, but probably not for the
control part of OAM, e.g., netconf can be in a separate plane.

What about the use of IPv6 flow label ? Would it help for the IPv6 flows ?

## Section 3.1

While I am far from being a "flow hash" expert, is it really possible for
compute UDP ports having the same hash value ? Especially when most vendors do
not make their flow hash algorithms public ?

To be honest, the intent of sections 3.1 to 3.4 are unclear to me, hence my
above question.

## Section 7

I was really about to raise a DISCUSS for this, but it is too trivial to fix:
please either remove this section or add some contents.

# NITS (non-blocking / cosmetic)

## Oxford comma ?

Should there be an Oxford comma in `Administration and Maintenance`? Notably in
the title and other places.