Re: [Detnet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-detnet-flow-information-model-05.txt

"Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong)" <gengxuesong@huawei.com> Fri, 20 September 2019 09:00 UTC

From: "Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong)" <gengxuesong@huawei.com>
To: Balázs Varga A <balazs.a.varga@ericsson.com>
CC: "detnet@ietf.org" <detnet@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:00:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.130.169.123]
Subject: Re: [Detnet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-detnet-flow-information-model-05.txt

Hi Bala'zs,

Here are some comments for DetNet information Model

1. The definition of DetNet flow and DetNet Service :
1) In Section 3.2 "Reference Points Used in Modeling":
"From service design perspective a fundamental question is the location of the service/flow endpoints, i.e., where the service/flowstarts and ends."
It seems like that the DetNet service and DetNet flow are the same thing, or at least share the same end point.

2) In Section 3.3 "Information Elements":
there is definition of DetNet Flow and DetNet Service
"   o  DetNet flow related parameters: these describe the DetNet flow
      characteristics (e.g., identification, format, traffic
      specification, endpoints, rank, etc.).
   o  DetNet service related parameters: these describe the expected
      service characteristics (e.g., delivery type, connectivity delay/
      loss, status, rank, etc.)."
N:1 Mapping is also allowed for DetNet flow and DetNet service
It seems like that the DetNet service is the "expected service" and DetNet flow is the "real detnet flow"

3) In Section 5 "DetNet Flow Related Parameters " and Section 6"DetNet Service Related Parameters"
There are a lot of same parameters both defined in DetNet flow and DetNet Service,
for example the parameter of "Requirements of the DetNet Flow " are the same as the "Delivery Profile of the DetNet Service"
for example the parameter of "Format of the DetNet Flow" and "Delivery Type of the DetNet service";

This makes me very confused. If the values of these parameters are the same, why they should be defined twice? If they are different,
which should be the real characteristics for a DetNet flow/service?

I think the structure of the information model is not clear for me, especially the relationship between detnet service and detnet flow(In DetNet architecture draft, there is no definition for "detnet service" either). At least more explanation is needed here.

2. The interface between DetNet information model and DetNet YANG model :
1) In the picture shows in Section 1,

      User                  Network Operator
              flow/service
       /\      info model    +---+
      /  \    <--------------->   | X |    management/control
      ----                   +-+-+       plane entity
                             ^
                             |   configuration
                             |     info model
                        +------------+
                        v     |     |
                       +-+     |     v  Network
                       +-+     v    +-+  nodes
                              +-+   +-+
                              +-+
I think we both agree that , this picture shows there is no direct interface between DetNet information model and DetNet Configuration model. But some parameters should go along with each other.

2) What has been done in the current stage and what is missing
In Section 4 and Section 5 App flow Identification and DetNet flow Identification are defined. DetNet YANG Model refer to DetNet information model about these parameters.
Do you think this is enough? What should also be included? It will be highly appreciated if you could give some suggestions and we could also discuss this in the mailing list.

Best Regards
Xuesong