Re: [Detnet] The road to DetNet

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Thu, 09 April 2015 10:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 06:13:42 -0400
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS)" <db3546@att.com>
Cc: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>, "detnet@ietf.org" <detnet@ietf.org>, "ISA100-CNM@ISA-ONLINE.ORG" <ISA100-CNM@ISA-ONLINE.ORG>, Tom Phinney <tom.phinney@cox.net>, "Alia Atlas (akatlas@gmail.com)" <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Detnet] The road to DetNet

Pascal,

    It looks to me that a portion of this work is already covered by
existing WGs (as you note) ,  but there is also an import portion that
is not.  In particular, how the L2/IEEE defined data plane is carried
across routers. (Encapsulation vs translation, MPLS, IPv4, IPv6 , who
does what, etc.) It seems to me that there isn't a clear WG for such
work (although perhaps PALs) and this and overall solution architecture
should be the focus of the proposed new effort (at least initially).  Of
course this group would also need to provide requirements to, and
collaborate with the the existing control/management plane WGs to
deliver the full solution.

Lou