Re: [dhcwg] Call for adoption: draft-boucadair-dhc-address-name-encoding-03

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 11 December 2012 07:06 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Tomek Mrugalski <tomasz.mrugalski@gmail.com>, "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:06:13 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Call for adoption: draft-boucadair-dhc-address-name-encoding-03

Hi Tomek,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

Med: I have considered updating the text with more validation rules (in addition to the ones already listed in -03 of the draft), but after reading the following (excerpt from RFC6055) I decided to not add more rules:

   By 1997, things had progressed to a state where it was necessary to
   clarify these areas of confusion.  "Clarifications to the DNS
   Specification" [RFC2181], Section 11 states:

      The DNS itself places only one restriction on the particular
      labels that can be used to identify resource records.  That one
      restriction relates to the length of the label and the full name.
      The length of any one label is limited to between 1 and 63 octets.
      A full domain name is limited to 255 octets (including the
      separators).  The zero length full name is defined as representing
      the root of the DNS tree, and is typically written and displayed
      as ".".  Those restrictions aside, any binary string whatever can
      be used as the label of any resource record.  Similarly, any
      binary string can serve as the value of any record that includes a
      domain name as some or all of its value (SOA, NS, MX, PTR, CNAME,
      and any others that may be added).  Implementations of the DNS
      protocols must not place any restrictions on the labels that can
      be used.

   Hence, it clarified that the restriction to letters, digits, and
   hyphens does not apply to DNS names in general, nor to records that
   include "domain names".  Hence, the "preferred" name syntax described
   in the original DNS specification [RFC1034] is indeed merely
   "preferred", not mandatory.

   Since there is no restriction even to ASCII, let alone letter-digit-
   hyphen use, DNS does not violate the subsequent IETF requirement to
   allow UTF-8 [RFC2277].