Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-12.txt> (Subnet Allocation Option) to Informational RFC

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 08 June 2011 14:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:29:54 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-12.txt> (Subnet Allocation Option) to Informational RFC

I have read parts of the document and I find it ok.

> The DHCP Server SHOULD allocate a subnet with prefix size less than
> or equal to the size P specified in the request.  In other words, a
> subnet at least the size requested and possibly bigger.

I agree, but "prefix size less than or equal to the size P" is not very
clear, because (1) there is no "P" in the request but "Prefix", "size"
is hard to understand, etc.  Maybe it should say "the length of the
allocated prefix should have a value non-zero and less than or equal to
value Prefix in the Request; e.g. if the Request demands a prefix of
length 4 the response MUST be of length any of 1, 2, 3 or 4".

There is another point which I think is not discussed in this draft.
Contrary to allocation of an address, always the Relay and sometimes the
Server _must_ update their forwarding/routing tables, according to a
specific rule [subnet,IPaddress], when this allocation of a subnet
prefix is performed - otherwise packet forwarding won't work (packets
don't reach the Host allocated an address from this prefix).

typo " qis " on page 4.

Alex